Friday, June 6, 2008

The only thing constant is change...

I figured I would take a moment to update all those who have left fair La'ie to greener pastures. Little La'ie has undergone some serious changes in recent times. A couple major things come to mind.

First:
After about a year of offering discounts to movie goers our own little Wallace Theaters closed. No warning, not so much as a good-bye. They were open one day and gone the next. (Very similar to ATA Airlines). Now I have to admit that I was one of those individuals who would rather drive the distance to Ko'olau Theaters for a more updated viewing experience. That is why it is rather ironic that I miss the little old theater with the well worn seats and the caving in leaky ceiling. One of those things that you don't miss until it is gone. It just seems a little bare in our shopping center with the recent changes. Since the beginning of this year DA Pharmacy, Dr. Tiberi, BSN Travel, and the Theater have all closed up shop. Some grass roots protesters have taken up the cause to try and keep Mickey's Motors open as it is next on the schedule to close. I guess it is just one more sign of tough times in Hawaii.


Second:
The next change of note came with the announcement that the long awaited and anticipated affordable housing project scheduled for Malekahana is no longer a viable option. For the full story click :


and you can read up on it if you want to.

Or here is the nitty-gritty as reported by the Honolulu Advertiser; President Beaver was quoted as saying:

"Feasibility estimates pose an unacceptable risk at this time," Beaver said in the statement. "Cost of the entitlement process, current market and political conditions, moderate community support, and other nearby residential development plans were key factors in our decision to stop the project."

Personally, the announcement burst my bubble. I had been dreaming, planning, and saving so I too would be able to purchase a new home in the next few years. It now looks like this dream is not going to be a realization any time soon. I can't blame HRI for pulling out of the project. I know that HRI is a key organization to this community and that the focus and drive behind HRI's every action is to bring about positive change and assistance to the community. I have to agree with the statements made. The community members of La'ie need to go to their elected officials for assistance, instead of depending on the church for handouts. I realize this may not be a popular thought around this community and many would rather blame or point the finger to others instead of taking responsibility for their own actions but I may go off into a never ending diatribe if I continue on much more; so in the short version. No more affordable housing.

Third:
I am back on my soap box complaining about the cost of living in Hawaii, this complaint is only exacerbated by the announcement of my second topic. I realize the entire nation is affected by the price of oil. I just have to say that the price of power has been increased 43% by HECO in the last six months. AND I just got done filling up the car with gas at lunch today for $4.10/gallon.

So I realize everyone who has moved on to greener pastures in life may love to reminisce about the fun time it is to live in Hawaii... and I will be the first to admit it is fun times living in paradise. I just have to wonder at what point will the price be too great for us to stay???

3 comments:

fijiangirl said...

I can't believe gas is cheaper in Hawaii where they have to ship it than in CA. That is crazy! I just paid $4.39 a gallon yesterday to full up my van.

The Memea family said...

Wow, times are sure changing. It was only a matter of time that the Wallace Theater went away...I just didn't think it would be this soon, maybe in a few more years. That really sucks about the affordable housing and about the gas.

Annie said...

I can't believe so many places have closed in the shopping center! Especially the movie theater. How will poor little college students impress their dates for cheap? And I for one am hoping it is too expensive to live there very SOON ;)