Friday, July 11, 2008

Only In Hawaii...

So first of all I just have to say that I haven't been posting all that often, because frankly I don't think my life is all that exciting at the moment. But this morning Inoke was asking me why I haven't posted on our blog in a while (honestly, I was shocked that he even checked our blog) so I figured I would come up with something to say.
That being said, I am going to talk about something that happened to me today at work. Has anyone ever noticed how totally and completley honest Polynesian people are. I mean they just tell it like they see it. Anyone reading this blog that either is married to a Polynesian or has a Polynesian friend will understand my story, and probably even empathize. As a preface I am not looking for sympathy, I am fine, it just cracks me up that after being married to Inoke for 6 1/2 years I am still shocked at some things that people say.
OK, so I am at work this morning and a lady comes in the office. Mind you, I don't know this woman. I have seen her around Laie a couple times, but it isn't like we are friends, I don't even know her first name. So she is talking to me about some things and then she says to me "You know I don't want to be rude....but...." and thoughts flash in my head. OK she doesn't want to be rude...well then don't be rude, I am racking my brain to think of what the heck she is going to say next and then it comes... "You know I have noticed you around for a while and well... you used to be thinner, you should try to lose some weight." Then she proceeds to tell me about how I should start going to Curves and Weight Watchers and any other weight loss program available around here... I had to laugh. I mean seriously, thank you so much for pointing that small detail out to me; after all I certainly haven't noticed that lately I have a little more junk in the trunk than before, but do ya really have to point it out to me lady? At least when Inoke's family makes comments on my size they do it in a code i.e. "Karla you look so healthy!" translated... whoa your putting on some weight girl.
So the moral of the story is... well I don't know it just was funny. So now I am off to work out... oh wait someone just brought in some Ted's Pies maybe that work out can wait...

6 comments:

The Varo's said...

Oh Karla...I am sure you handled that womans comment in tactful manner. Too bad I don't still live in Laie, I'd egg her house and let the air out of her tires.
love, Monica

Celeste Tabakece said...

Yeah, I feel ya. I went home for the 4th of July...first time I've really seen people since I graduated high school. Most people didn't even recognize me and the ones who did started out their conversation... Celeste... is that you? All I could say was uh yep!

Tora Family said...

Been there done that...I totally feel ya. I've put on A LOT of weight since meeting and marrying Patrick, and when we lived in California and would attend Fijian functions many of them (mostly older...not anyone our age, because they know it's rude in the American culture) would come up and after hugging me say, "Oh, Ursala you've gotten so fat!"

I'm used to it now, but it devestated me the first couple of times, because there were so many people around and it caught me off guard.

You are very good-natured about it...good for you.

fijiangirl said...

I hear the exact same thing from Peni's family.."wow.. you are so fit and healthy." Sometimes they even act jealous. So one question was this polynesian lady thin or not? I would have had a hard time being nice to her if she said that to me adn she needed weight watchers just as badly as I did!

Brittany said...

Holy schneikies I am laughing so hard!! I am so sorry! You are so brave just to even share that- I would have died... Aren't people just wack sometimes? Thank you for sharing... we are not alone!

Annie said...

Oh. my. gosh. I would have been totally speechless if that happened to me! I have nothing but bad words for that lady. I don't understand people, seriously, why do they think that someone doesn't know they are gaining weight? Ugh! I'm glad I've packed on the pounds over here in Arizona where it is socially unacceptable to say such things, unless you are my mother. :)