Thursday, May 1, 2008

Top 5 things I love about Hawaii...


So the other day I was talking to my dad and he was saying how he had spent something like seventeen years in Alaska; and how for a military man that was quite a long time. Then I started thinking and this August makes ten years since I landed on this island paradise. Back then I was just a 19 year old college sophomore looking for a fun semester involving lots of sunshine and beach time. If you would have told me back then that in TEN years I would still be here in good old Laie, I would have never believed it. I have seen a lot of changes and growth that is for sure; but there are a few things that may have driven me crazy in the beginning, that now are my most favorite things about living on this rock in the sea. So here goes my top five things that I love about living down in this crazy little country town.

5. Teds Bakery

If you know me at all, you know that I have this unbelievable sweet tooth and the chocolate haupia pie from Ted's Bakery calls my name every time I drive past. I have to say that I love EVERYTHING there, the chocolate eclairs, the dream cake, the carrot cake, the danishes, etc. Thank you so much to Amy Basalusalu for introducing me to this little bakery way back in the day. And yes their butter rolls are still amazing.


4. "Free Range" Chickens

When I first arrived I just couldn't believe that there were so many wild chickens roaming around the streets of this town. If you have ever been to Laie you know exactly what I mean, they are everywhere! I mean we are in America, this isn't a little village or a third world country...but we do have some serious chickens roaming the streets. Now I have come to love the rooster calls in the early mornings telling me to wake up and go exercise.


3. Kamehameha Hwy.

I can still remember the first night I arrived. The good old "Coconut Express" came to the airport and we all loaded into a van to head for the North Shore. It was late and dark. Being an Alaskan girl I kept looking out the window and smiling at all the coconut trees along the road and trying to see what was out there in the dark. As we started past Kahaluu I began to realize we were driving right NEXT to the ocean. I mean the road was right there and the waves were softly crashing against it. Anyone who has driven out along the Kam. Hwy. to the North Shore knows exactly what I mean. It truly is a breathtaking drive.


Which brings me to 3A... the speed limit in Hawaii. So when I was younger and in a rush to get to everywhere I totally HATED the 35mph speed limit along the Hwy. I mean it is a HIGHWAY shouldn't it be at least 55mph?! Now I have finally learned to relax and it is normal for a 23 mile trip to take about 45 minutes... Actually when we went to Arizona a couple weeks ago I found myself going about 35-40mph and it felt so fast to go the speed limit... guess it is all relative.



2. 85 degrees year round.

What else can I say. Hawaii is the most amazing place to live for that simple fact. It is right around 85 degrees in the summer, winter, fall, or spring. I can go for walks and exercise outside year round! Even during the rainy season it is still beautiful and 85.

1. The BEACH.

Yes if you know me, you know that I am borderline obsessed with beaches. I love the beach. Even though now I am all grown up and work way more than I should; so I am sporting the "fairy princess white" instead of the "glowing golden tan." I still love the smell, sound, feel of the sand between my toes and the waves lapping into the shore.



So there you have it. Those of you who have left Hawaii, I hope this triggers warm thoughts and happy memories of the little idiosyncrasies of this island paradise.

3 comments:

fijiangirl said...

Yes, girl I agree with all those things and more. I so do miss those Hawaii days. and the beach... even though we are in CA, nothing compares to the Hawaii beach. Well except for Fiji beaches!!!! Now that I am going to plan a trip to go back to Hawaii you are moveing to AZ. Funny I stayed in Hawaii for 10 years as well.

Annie said...

Ah, I hate it when you make me all nostalgic for that place I ran away from! Mmm, Ted's Bakery...drool. You know, I actually have never been inside that place. Weird. And although I love the beach, I don't miss the sand. My POOL is lovely with the concrete all around it! And I also remember the first time driving up to the north shore along Kam Hwy. I will never forget the awe of the first time driving right next to the ocean. Enjoy it for me while you can! :)

Druava Family said...

Karla,
You are totally making me miss Hawaii. I loved it there so much. I hope one day we get to come back and visit. I hope all is well, I found your blog so I am adding it to ours. Hope to keep in touch.

Christine Druava