Monday, June 23, 2008

Missing Alaska

My sister Kirsten was up in Alaska the past week visiting friends and running in the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon. I am so proud of her for sticking to her goals. She started on this fitness quest nearly two years ago and it was her goal to run in the Mayor's Marathon. In the last year she moved all the way to "po dunk" North Dakota. She never gave up on her goals though and her husband even bought her a ticket "home" to Alaska so she could see it through. She is an inspiration to me and the definition of perseverance. She ran the 1/2 marathon on Saturday; not only finishing the race but coming in 93rd in her age group! Holy smokes. Go Kirsten!

While talking to my sister during the week I was reminded that this weekend was my favorite day of the year, Summer Solstice. Solstice just doesn't seem the same these days as it did growing up in Alaska. Back in Alaska Summer Solstice is a huge deal, it is the longest day of the entire year and the sun doesn't set, it just makes a circle on the horizon. It is truly an amazing sight to see. I almost found myself homesick in a sense for Alaska (and those of you who know me well; know that it is a rare occasion indeed if I am missing Alaska). I miss the never ending daylight, there is just something to be said about being able to sit on your deck and read a book without a light on at 1 am. I even had a crazy dream this weekend that we moved back to Alaska.. CRAZY. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Hawaii. I love the beach; distance and time does have a way of making you remember all the good times. I am sure if it was winter Alaska would be the last place on earth that I would want to be... but man there is nothing like the summers in Alaska. So here are a few pics of my homeland...
I miss the majestic snow capped mountains...


I miss the fire weed and all the beautiful vibrant wildflowers that grow for miles and miles.
I miss the quaint unique little buildings. Everything in Alaska has "character."
But then I remember that winter is NINE months of the year... and am brought back to reality.

3 comments:

Leilani said...

I was just thinking about all that the other day, the Summer solstice and the midnight marathon... I am trying to convince my husband that we should do the summer thing there sometime in the next few years.

The Memea family said...

Wow, Alaska is beautiful! Ioelu had said that he always wanted to live in Alaska. I think I'll be happy just visiting!!

Annie said...

I so don't understand how that works. Does the sun just not get high in the sky? I guess I need to go there to see for myself. :)